Do you drink water every day and keep yourself hydrated?
If not, then keep reading…
Our bodies need water to survive and function well.
I make sure I keep myself hydrated especially when working out or when I’m feeling hot and thirsty. I even carry a water bottle with me, in my backpack, car and even on my bedside table.
Here are some basic guidelines about hydration, why it is important and you should do it too:
What Is The Importance Of Hydration?
Our body loses water through sweating, breathing and eliminating, so it is important to keep our body hydrated by drinking fluids and eating foods that contain water. Keeping our body hydrated has some great health benefits such as:
- Keeps our body temperature normal
- Helps control weight or lose weight
- Helps lubricate joints
- Help flush toxins from our body through urination and bowel movement
- Helps skin looking good
- Prevents dehydration
How Much Water Do I Need?
Growing up, I was told that we should drink water at least 8 glasses of water a day but it actually depends on your body type, climate, age, sex and/or activity level.
If you want to know more about how much water you need to drink, I found an article about it here.
What Happens If I Don’t Drink Enough Water?
If you don’t drink enough water, you can get dehydrated.
Here are few signs and symptoms of dehydration:
- Dry mouth
- Increased thirst
- Darker urine
- Dry skin
- A headache
- Low energy
How Do I Make Sure I Stay Hydrated?
There are many ways to keep yourself hydrated, here are a few tips you can try:
- Keep a water bottle with you at all times.
- Drink water before, during and after a workout.
- Drink water before and during each meal.
- If water is plain and/or boring for you, you can mix it up by adding lemon water or making infused water (will share recipes soon!) 🙂
- If you have trouble remembering to drink water, set an alarm or reminder on your phone/calendar or even add it to your daily task.
Summary: Staying hydrated by drinking enough water every day is good for your overall health, so drink up and stay hydrated!